Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Back on Track

I've noticed that keeping up a blog has been good for me. It forces me to think about what's going on in my life and what I want to share with other people. I realized that I haven't posted anything in a while and as I sat down to write about something I realized...I have nothing to write about. I've been stagnant, content, fine. Don't get me wrong, it's good to sometimes be content, otherwise you're always anxious to move on and never enjoy anything. But I think we blur the line between content and complacent. Here's what Webster says:

Content
-adjective, noun, verb
-satisfied with what one is or has
Complacent -adjective -pleased, especially with oneself or one's merits, advantages, situation, etc., often without awareness of some potential danger or defect

In other words, the two are very similar. The main difference is that ending: "often without awareness of some potential danger or defect." Complacent means that we are content in the face of danger. We sit down and pick flowers in the middle of the battle field. I realize that I've been doing just that and it's time to get up, get back on track. Last week, I watched a Rob Bell video (hold the comments) about anger and he said that some people are just looking for a fight because they're not in one. Wow. This is a great point and I think that same problem can be what leads to complacency. "I'm fine. Things aren't great but they're not bad, either. I don't really have anything to get worked up over."

Now is the time to get worked up! This doesn't mean pick a fight with your neighbor; it means pick a fight with the devil. I'm done waiting for something to happen when I could be doing something now. What is that something? What really ticks you off? What injustice just drives you up the wall whenever you see it? Find it and then find ways, little ways, to eradicate it around you.Here's my example: I hate hearing girls nonchalantly insult themselves, as if it's simply a matter of fact. I hate how much the enemy robs them of their worth. How will I fix it? I'll make a point of complementing the girls around me, make them feel good, show them that someone sees them. This is my baby step. What will yours be? I'd love to hear from you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment