Monday, April 4, 2011

First cake adventure!

This last Saturday I finished my basic cake decorating class! We were told to bring a frosted cake to class and we could spend the whole class decorating it. Since my friend was having her birthday party the next day, I made the cake for her. It was a funfetti cake with a strawberry jam filling and cream cheese frosting. Her favorite color is yellow so I put yellow roses (that eventually turned gold) on it and a beaded border. It turned out great and my friend loved it :)

I learned two lessons: 1) Always level your cakes. This is something I don't normally do because I don't know how and I'm afraid to waste cake. It's worth it. Putting two cakes together that have domed in the oven is a recipe for disaster. 2) Paste dyes are great because they're concentrated and don't thin the frosting. However, the color matures! I would mix it and get a nice color but every time I looked at it, it would get darker and darker and I'm pretty sure at one point I yelled at the frosting, "Stop doing that!" So...yeah, be careful with your coloring.

No comments:

Post a Comment