Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Adam Pasion Band



At long last, the interview with Adam Pasion is complete. Currently, they are working on writing and recording, so I'll be sure to let you all know when they have shows coming up :)

For my first local artist interview, I spoke with Adam Pasion, leader of the Adam Pasion band, a bluegrass group, and Briertone, a Southern rock band.

What does each of you play?

Adam Pasion: lead vocals, guitar

Emily Wilson: vocals

Brandon Gatlin: pedal steel, guitar, piano

Elijah Merritt: BGVs, banjo, guitar

Mark Folkrod: Drums, percussion

Kirk MacLane: upright bass

How long have you been playing?

I started playing music when I was nine or ten. I started Adam Pasion music in 2008 when I released my first alt-country & folk record. It was a transition from a heavier southern rock band called Briertone that I started in 2002. This Adam Pasion Band lineup has been performing together for about two years.

What are your most popular songs?

The most popular songs are ones we usually like to play the least! They get tiresome. People often want to hear “Gypsy Girl.” "May it be a Sweet Sound" and "Run by Faith" are usually second to that.

Why did you choose to play music? Can you describe your style?

I was so young that I cannot tell you I made a conscious decision to play music. Why does somebody joke around or work harder than others? It is simply who they are. I just wouldn't be me if I didn't write songs. Whether I'm performing alt-country under Adam Pasion Music or heavier southern rock under Briertone, the style is always rooted in old country. I lean toward rustic sounds like bluegrass.

Who would you consider your musical influences?

Alison Krauss, Fleetwood Mac, Neil Young, Radiohead, Sigur Ros, Nicklecreek, 16 Horsepower

What inspires your music? Any stories behind specific songs?

As a country artist, I certainly draw inspiration from life experience. My songs are generally very straight forward, storytelling songs. I'm a guy of faith so it will always ring through pretty heavily in most songs that I write. I try to express God's heart for His children, though it often comes out very dark. There’s a song called "Naked We Come" on my album "O Hear the Rattling" about how I almost died when I was born and had to be revived. Bringing things into perspective, life is a breath. Our time is short, yet we work tirelessly at things that may not have significance. The chorus states that we come into the world with nothing and will take nothing. What we do (or don't do) in between matters greatly. Did we make it count?

Is there something the audience wouldn’t know about the band?

Our album was made on the stage of an old antique theater. It took us over a year to make, with some songs rolling 70 tracks at one time. Or a ridiculous fact: We love to shoot guns and play cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment