Friday, March 18, 2011

Facebook Fast

I've never done Lent before. However, this year I decided it would be a great opportunity to stretch my faith a bit by denying myself a guilty pleasure: Facebook. I know Lent is normally a season when people go without certain food or drink, but I also know that Facebook is my real addiction that I need to break. So I went cold turkey and have been without it for about a couple weeks now, and I've learned that Lent is not fun at all. Like I said, I've never done it but I bet this is about the time participants start thinking, "Oh man, maybe this wasn't such a good idea." I've wanted to check up on people, see their pictures, ask questions to my general Facebook audience, but can't do any of it!

However, I'm not going to sit here and type away all my complaints for you to read. As difficult as it is to break a habit, I know it's really good for me. It's been forcing me to make direct contact with people and has left me blissfully ignorant of the online drama. I'm not even halfway through the Lent fast, which I've learned ends on Easter. Part of me wants to groan and give up, but the other part of me (thankfully, the part that's in control) sees that as a good thing. I still have lots to learn about face time and it's going to be great.

I'm determined to make this a season to learn a new lifestyle, not just go on a reverse binge. I feel like a lot of people participate in Lent but go back full-force to their old habit. But God said He asks for obedience, not sacrifice. If you sacrifice something just once and then go right back to it, it's like it never happened so what good does that do? Make a change and obediently stick to it. God also said, "Because you are lukewarm, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out." And that's really unpleasant, so let's make a lasting change. I'll update you a bit later on my Facebook fast :)

No comments:

Post a Comment